Sunday, March 15, 2020

Captain Canuck Newspaper Strips Rounded Up!

I recently got a membership to newspapers.com for a Canadian football site that I manage. Shortly thereafter, I searched for Captain Canuck in the hope of landing on the old newspaper strips.

My search failed, at the time, but I tried again earlier today and hit the jackpot. I not only dug up the brief one from 1980, but also one that ran in 1995 in the Ottawa Citizen from August to December or so. It seemed to end quite suddenly.

In the case of the former, I had found them on someone's Facebook page years ago but the scans were small and therefore difficult to read. I've been able to make larger versions now and will be updating the Newspaper Strips page above later today. Give this a click.


In the case of the latter, there were some challenges.

For one, the first strips appeared to be released out of order and it could be that one or two were missed altogether. That'll take a little investigating.

Another issue is that the newspaper page scan from which I would copy was sometimes blurry. It's difficult to correct that but I should at least be able to improve on it slightly so that it can at least be read properly.

All told, I have about 120 strips saved so obviously it'll take some time to add all these to page above. Slowly but surely they'll end up there though. Here's a sample (again, click for a larger version).



This strip was, in effect, the Captain Canuck Reborn series (see "Alternate Version" page) re-told, going from memory. I believe that is the first strip in which the suit is worn in anything other than a dream or vision and it was the 60th one published. Kind of an odd way of going about things.

My account to newspapers.com also provides access to articles about the good Captain from when he was launched and the many times he's been rebooted since. I plan on sharing a number of those as well over time, if I can sort those articles out from the one about whomever happened to be captain of the Vancouver Canucks at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment